Keep up with all things New Orleans as this group of 14 Missouri State University students venture out to explore New Orleans' history and dedication to urban renewal!

Thursday, March 13, 2014

Looking Back to Look Forward

Greetings from NOLA! My name is Jared Cates and I am one of the advisors on the trip. Over the course of the past few days, I have had the pleasure of being a part of some amazing service learning opportunities within the city of New Orleans.  Reflecting back on the week, some of my favorite experiences have been interacting with the people of New Orleans and hearing about their everyday lives.  From those individuals, I have learned a great deal about the pride they have for their city and how well they have been able to respond to the Hurricane Katrina disaster.

Another experience I have thoroughly enjoyed is receiving a guided tour of the lower ninth ward from local geology professor Stephen Nelson.  The tour was very educational and encompassed a very rich discussion of the Hurricane Katrina disaster and the impact it had within the New Orleans community.  Altogether, the tour was an experience I thoroughly enjoyed and now have a better grip on how the event unfolded.

In taking what I learned from professor Stephen Nelson and the interactions I have had with the people of New Orleans, I am very excited about taking it back to my family and friends, Missouri State University, and the community of Springfield. Go Bears!  

               

No comments:

Post a Comment