Keep up with all things New Orleans as this group of 14 Missouri State University students venture out to explore New Orleans' history and dedication to urban renewal!

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Today our New Orleans group of 14 volunteers visited a senior center in the lower ninth ward of New Orleans. From what I understand, the seniors meet at the center about three times a week to do devotion and play bingo. The members were so sweet about all of us being there and asking them questions...and joining in on their bingo. Ronnie was the woman that myself and a few other volunteers talked to. Ronnie told us about her daughter and her grandson and about the Holy Trinity of New Orleans food (bell peppers, onions, and celery). She also talked about how she has lived in New Orleans her entire life and even when she had to move to Texas for three years after Katrina, she wouldn't even consider staying there. Surprisingly, she was very open to talking about the hurricane and her experience. I didn't quite catch her entire story, but from what I heard, her circumstance was very lucky. She and husband were able to be airlifted away before they were physically hurt. Her daughter and grandson lived in Texas at the time so they weren't in danger. However, her home was completely destroyed and she lost many sentimental valuables. Ronnie said that she lost her wedding ring and another ring that was given to her by her mother-in-law, also mentioning how she isn't able to show her grandson pictures of his mother when she was little. Despite all of the trauma and loss that she went through, she had such a wonderful outlook on life. I could tell that she really appreciates everything that she has and everyone that she meets, not taking anything for granted. Personally, this is something that I have a difficult time doing. I have had such a privileged life and have been so blessed with my family and health that it is easy to complain about petty things. I truly admired how Ronnie treated us and the other seniors, as if we were family. Being there, meeting New Orleans natives really gave me a better understanding and appreciation for the culture here. I wouldn't trade this experience for anything and am excited to see what the rest of the trip has in store for myself and the rest of the group.

Karley Kindberg

No comments:

Post a Comment