Keep up with all things New Orleans as this group of 14 Missouri State University students venture out to explore New Orleans' history and dedication to urban renewal!

Saturday, March 15, 2014

The St. Bernard Wetlands Foundation


Hello, everyone! This is Daniel Schekorra, again, and I am one of the two trip leaders. I apologize for posting this so late, but we had a busy, late day on Friday! I wanted to tell you some things about working with the St. Bernard Wetlands Foundation on Friday, and I thought better late than never!

First off, I want to mention why the Wetlands are important to New Orleans. Basically, the Wetlands act as a barrier to floodwaters. The Wetlands are located just outside the city, and saltwater from the Gulf of Mexico has been killing the trees in the area. The trees absorb energy from hurricanes, taming the surge. The Wetlands Foundation restores trees to the area that can handle the current Wetlands conditions and distributes them to people who live in the area.

I am very proud to say that our small group of 14 students planted over 530 potted trees. Additionally, we assisted in removing trees that had unfortunately not grown sufficiently. Of all of the days that we did service, this definitely required the most physical labor. I know that my back is definitely sore a day later!

Throughout the week, our group has made connections with various people who live in New Orleans and developed a fondness for the city’s culture. I am very proud of everyone’s hard work yesterday, and hopefully our work will contribute to the ultimate goal of lessening the devastation of the inevitable hurricanes that New Orleans will see in the future. This work was our group’s way of trying to protect those people that we care about and the incredible culture.

I am going to stop this post a little short. In our reflection last night, we discussed how much this trip meant to everyone and how we can take the skills and knowledge we have learned and apply it to the Springfield area. Please read the next post where I will discuss our reflection and wrap up the trip from my trip leader point of view!

Daniel Schekorra

No comments:

Post a Comment